1 Ocak 2024 Pazartesi

A Light Woman & Hafif Bir Kadın*


 I.

So far as our story approaches the end,

 Which do you pity the most of us three?---

My friend, or the mistress of my friend

 With her wanton eyes, or me?


II.

My friend was already too good to lose,

 And seemed in the way of improvement yet,


When she crossed his path with her hunting-noose

 And over him drew her net.


III.

When I saw him tangled in her toils,

 A shame, said I, if she adds just him

To her nine-and-ninety other spoils,

 The hundredth for a whim!


IV.

And before my friend be wholly


hers,

 How easy to prove to him, I said,

An eagle's the game her pride prefers,

 Though she snaps at a wren instead!


V.

So, I gave her eyes my own eyes to take,

 My hand sought hers as in earnest need,

And round she turned for my noble sake,


 And gave me herself indeed.


VI.

The eagle am I, with my fame in the world,

 The wren is he, with his maiden face.

---You look away and your lip is curled?

 Patience, a moment's space!


VII.

For see, my friend goes shaling and white;


He eyes me as the basilisk:

I have turned, it appears, his day to night,

 Eclipsing his sun's disk.


VIII.

And I did it, he thinks, as a very thief:

 ``Though I love her---that, he comprehends---

``One should master one's passions, (love, in chief)

 ``And be loyal to one's friends!''



IX.

And she,---she lies in my hand as tame

 As a pear late basking over a wall;

Just a touch to try and off it came;

 'Tis mine,---can I let it fall?


X.

With no mind to eat it, that's the worst!

 Were it thrown in the road, would the case assist?

'Twas quenching a dozen blue-flies' thirst

 When I gave its stalk a twist.



XI.

And I,---what I seem to my friend, you see:

 What I soon shall seem to his love, you guess:

What I seem to myself, do you ask of me?

 No hero, I confess.


XII.

'Tis an awkward thing to play with souls,

 And matter enough to save one's own:


Yet think of my friend, and the burning coals

 He played with for bits of stone!


XIII.

One likes to show the truth for the truth;

 That the woman was light is very true:

But suppose she says,---Never mind that youth!

 What wrong have I done to you?


XIV.


Well, any how, here the story stays,

 So far at least as I understand;

And, Robert Browning, you writer of plays,

 Here's a subject made to your hand!       




Hafif Bir Kadın*

*I.

Hikayemiz sona yaklaşırken,

 Üçümüz arasında en çok hangisine


acıyorsunuz?---

Arkadaşım ya da arkadaşımın metresi

 Onun ahlaksız gözleriyle mi yoksa benimle mi?


II.

Arkadaşım zaten kaybetmeyecek kadar iyiydi.

 Ve henüz gelişme yolunda görünüyordu,

Av ilmiğiyle yolunu kesiştiğinde

 Ve onun üzerine ağını çekti.


III.

Onu kendi işlerine bulaşmış halde


gördüğümde,

 Yazık dedim, eğer sadece onu eklerse

Diğer dokuz doksan ganimetine,

 Bir heves için yüzüncü!


IV.

Ve arkadaşım tamamen onun olmadan önce,

 Ona kanıtlamak ne kadar kolay dedim,

Kartal gururunun tercih ettiği oyundur,

 Gerçi bunun yerine bir çalıkuşuna saldırıyor!



V.

Bu yüzden, gözlerine, alması için kendi gözlerimi verdim.

 Elim ciddi bir ihtiyaç içinde onunkini aradı,

Ve benim asil hatırım için döndü,

 Ve bana gerçekten kendini verdi.


VI.

Kartal benim, dünyadaki şöhretimle,

 Çalıkuşu, kızlık yüzüyle odur.

---Başınızı çeviriyorsunuz ve dudağınız mı kıvrılıyor?

 Sabır, bir anlık boşluk!



VII.

Bakın arkadaşım şist ve beyaza gidiyor;

 Bana basilisk gözüyle bakıyor:

Görünen o ki, onun gününü geceye çevirdim,

 Güneş diskini gölgede bırakıyor.


VIII.

Ve bunu tam bir hırsız gibi yaptım, diye düşünüyor:

 ''Onu sevmeme rağmen...o bunu anlıyor...''

``Kişi tutkularına hakim olmalı (başta aşk)

 ``Ve arkadaşlarına sadık ol!''



IX.

Ve o,---evcil bir şekilde elimde yatıyor

 Bir duvarın üzerinden geç saatlerde tadını çıkaran bir armut gibi;

Denemek için sadece bir dokunuş ve işe yaradı;

 'Bu benim,---düşmesine izin verebilir miyim?


X.

Onu yemeye aldırış etmeden, bu en kötüsü!

 Yola mı atılmıştı, dava yardımcı olur muydu?

'Bir düzine mavi sineğin susuzluğunu gideriyordu'

 Sapını çevirdiğimde.


XI.

Ve ben --- arkadaşıma nasıl göründüğümü görüyorsunuz:

 Yakında onun aşkına nasıl görüneceğimi tahmin edersiniz:


Ben kendime nasıl görünüyorum, bana mı soruyorsun?

 Kahraman yok, itiraf ediyorum.


XII.

'Ruhlarla oynamak garip bir şey,

 Ve kişinin kendisini kurtarmaya yetecek kadar önemli:

Yine de arkadaşımı ve yanan kömürleri düşün

 Taş parçalarıyla oynadı!


XIII.

İnsan hakikat için hakikati göstermeyi sever;


Kadının hafif olduğu çok doğru:

Ama diyelim ki şöyle diyor: ---Boş verin o gençliği!

 Sana ne yanlış yaptım?


XIV.

Neyse, hikaye burada kalıyor,

 En azından şimdilik anladığım kadarıyla;

Ve Robert Browning, sen oyun yazarısın,

 İşte elinize yapılmış bir konu!






*Martin Eden & Jack Eden

Özgün adı: Martin Eden

İngilizce aslından çeviren : Levent Cinemre

Türkiye İş Bankası Kültür Yayınları

1.Birinci Basım: Temmuz 2014







*
Poems in the collection:
  • "Love Among the Ruins"

  • "A Lover’s Quarrel"

  • "Evelyn Hope"

  • "Up at a Villa – Down in the City"

  • "A Woman’s Last Word"

  • "Fra Lippo Lippi"

  • "A Toccata of Galuppi's"

  • "By the Fire-Side"

  • "Any Wife to Any Husband"

  • "An Epistle Containing the Strange Medical Experience of Karshish, the Arab Physician"

  • "Mesmerism"

  • "A Serenade at the Villa"

  • "My Star"

  • "Instans Tyrannus"

  • "A Pretty Woman"

  • "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"


  • "Respectability"

  • "A Light Woman"

  • "The Statue and the Bust"

  • "Love in a Life"

  • "Life in a Love"

  • "How It Strikes a Contemporary"

  • "The Last Ride Together"

  • "The Patriot"

  • "Master Hugues of Saxe-Gotha"

  • "Bishop Blougram’s Apology"


  • "Memorabilia"

  • "Andrea del Sarto"

  • "Before"

  • "After"

  • "In Three Days"

  • "In a Year"

  • "Old Pictures in Florence"

  • "In a Balcony"

  • "Saul"

  • "De Gustibus—"

  • "Women and Roses"

  • "Protus"

  • "Holy-Cross Day"

  • "The Guardian-


  • Angel"

  • "Cleon"

  • "The Twins"

  • "Popularity"

  • "The Heretic’s Tragedy"

  • "Two in the Campagna"

  • "A Grammarian’s Funeral"

  • "One Way of Love"

  • "Another Way of Love"

  • "Transcendentalism - A Poem in Twelve Volumes"


  • "Misconceptions"

  • "One Word More"



*Robert Browning'in 1855 yılında yayımladığı Man and Woman adlı kitabında yer alan şiirler arasındki “Alight Eoman”şiirindeki dizeye atfen. Ağını örerek bir erkeği ele geçirmeye çalışan bir kadından bahsedilen şiirde Browning “Ruhlarla oynamak ters teper /Asıl mesele kendi ruhunu kurtarmaktır” der.





*A Light Woman by Browning Robert: read poem | Full text (metasorting.com

Hafif Bir Kadın


*https://www.thepoetryhour.com/poems/a-light-woman
*
*






Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Despacito*

Sí, sabes que ya llevo un rato mirándote Tengo que bailar contigo hoy (DY!) Vi que tu mirada ya estaba llamándome Muéstrame el camino que yo...